Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Who put the "Die" in "Diet"

Amazing!!! I cannot believe the fantastic support I have received from this blog. My dear cousin coined a new phrase “blight” for my blog. It is a “be light blog” aka blight. Thank you to everyone who responded! I hope that you continue to enjoy…Please read on for this week’s adventure.

Well, the last eight days have been very interesting. I have been able to meet my daily goals of at least five of the items on the list. I truly set myself up for success as I automatically accomplished two of my five every day. I pray daily and I always play with my children. This lifestyle change has made me more aware of the time spent in both activities and I have to say that I could devote more time to both. My other favorites were drinking water, taking my vitamins and cutting out soda.

Diet Pepsi and I have a love-hate relationship. It has been my beverage of choice for many years. However, after talking to a peer I’ve changed my perspective a bit. She said, “My grandmother always said, ‘Why would you eat or drink anything when the first three letters of its name spell DIE?’” I have to say that I am inclined to agree with her grandmother. This lifestyle change isn’t about a diet. It shouldn’t be about dying skinny…It’s all about living healthy. I can proudly say that I have been DIEt Pepsi free for eight days. The first four days were absolutely miserable. I was fatigued, had horrible headaches and was CRABBY!!! Fortunately, my husband loves me and my children have short memories (kind of…but more on that later) plus the symptoms were temporary. I hope I have made it through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms. I have to admit that I still drink coffee on a daily basis but I have cut down to one cup a day…it may be a 24 ounce cup but it is all in one cup. Today I only drank half of it which is a vast improvement considering I consider refills a part of the single cup as long as there is still a bit of coffee in the bottom of my cup.

I had the opportunity to spend last weekend with my husband’s family for Christmas. We had tons of delicious food and spent an amazing weekend eating and having a great time. Was anything diet or low fat? Nope. Did I overdo it? Maybe a little. I have to say that I thought twice before grabbing seconds. The food was delicious but I stopped at one and gave my body time to feel full. Did I dig into the sweets? You betcha. I tried a little bit of everything and tried the Oreo truffles four or five times. However, this is an improvement. In years past I would have stationed myself in the kitchen and spent the entire 36 hours feeding myself. Baby steps…Holidays will always be a challenge but this weekend gave me the opportunity to practice for Christmas and New Year’s Eve!

Updates for the week
Current Weight-275 (Loss of five pounds…woot woot)
Average Caloric Intake-2000 Calories
Lunches Eaten Out-Zero
Healthy Lunches Brought from Home-Six
Desserts Eaten-At least 8…Still working on this
Times I felt deprived-Once
Breakfast-Everyday!!!

Recipes for This Week
Flavored Water
1 Lime
1 Lemon
1 Cucumber
2 Quarts of Water-More if your container is bigger

Wash produce.
Cut lemon and lime into wedges.
Squeeze juice into pitcher and drop wedges into pitcher.
Slice cucumber and add slices to pitcher.
Fill with water and refrigerate until chilled.
Enjoy!

This has become my alternative to soda. I actually keep a pitcher full at home and work. I add water throughout the day and use the fruits for two days and then replace.

Egg Mug
Two eggs
Non-stick spray
Coffee Mug

Spray inside of mug.
Crack two eggs into mug.
Whisk and place in microwave for one minute.
After one minute, stir and place back in microwave for 15-30 seconds until desired doneness is achieved.
Enjoy!

This has become my go-to breakfast. It is quick and easy plus it is chockfull of protein. Add some fruit and a yogurt or skim milk for a balanced meal. It has also become my snack in the afternoon on those crazy days where I need a boost.

Until next time…Enjoy the sweet life and I don’t mean a life filled with sweets.

1 comment: